Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Raspberry Scones

Nothing ventured, nothing gained........With raspberries being in season, I couldn't resist adding them to my scone recipe.  I knew I was taking a risk given the fragile nature of the berries, but the attempt was well worth it.  You do have to handle the dough gently and not overwork it.  I rolled out the dough directly on the baking sheet, which was lined with parchment paper, and spaced the wedges (triangles) two inches apart prior to baking them.  The raspberries don't remain whole, but form a lovely streusel effect through the batter. I also decided to further alter my original scone recipe by adding, what else, extra butter and a touch of pure vanilla extract.  I'm happy to report that they are by far the best scones I've made to date.  The old recipe can't hold a candle to this newly revised version. So, Grace at 'lamiadolca vita', I might have to just eat my words when I stated that I preferred tea biscuits over scones.  My recent batch was not only buttery rich but surprisingly light in texture.           

Raspberry Scones 
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
1 cup raspberries
2 eggs
1/3 cup 35% cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a food processor add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Pulse, to blend the dry ingredients.  Add the butter and process until the texture of coarse meal. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and gently toss in the raspberries.  In a separate bowl add the eggs, vanilla and cream and beat slightly.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture.  Mix gently to combine with a wooden spoon.  Transfer to a work surface and pat with your hand to a thick disk.  Place the dough on a tray which has been lined with parchment paper.  Roll out the dough to about 1/2” thickness.  Cut into 8 wedges and using a spatula separate them, so as to bake them 2" apart.  Bake in a pre-heated 400º F oven for 12-15 minutes.  Makes 8 large scones

1 comment:

  1. Grace, with your wonderful baking skills, these will be a cinch. Although I've never tried the Starbuck scones,I'm definitely game, if you are. Although, I will need your guidance. Are they the same shape and are they much smaller?
    Also to answer your question, I sprinkled the tops of my scones with turbinado sugar. If you wish you can also use an egg-wash on the tops fo the scones before baking, which I didn't for this batch.

    ReplyDelete