Monday, February 21, 2011

"Recipe to Riches" Update

Although I had more than a few misgivings about participating in the Recipe to Riches Food Network competition, I did finally throw my hat in the ring, literally at the last minute. Although I didn't quite make it to Toronto with my recipe, I did make it to the judge's table, and had the privilege of meeting one of my favourite television chef celebrities, Laura Calder. That in itself was quite the reward. My other consolation was that at least my recipe warranted some debate over its marketability. The idea of the sour cherry filling seemed well received as were the use of  "healthier " ingredients such as dark chocolate (filling) and canola oil versus butter (cake batter). Unfortunately, one of the judges stood firm on the notion that the average consumer might find the dark Dutch cocoa flavour too intense and the cake not sweet enough. 
In spite of endless waiting period involved in the process and the final outcome, I can't say I regretted the experience. I got to meet some lovely people, had a few laughs, and experienced first hand that not all television reality shows will make you self destruct. The judges were constructive in their criticism, and the staff so supportive. Above all, I was touched by the compassion and concern shown by the Food Network television crew upon the realization that the golden ring was not to be attained. So I guess there can be some dignity in reality television after all. 
Most of all I would like to thank all my blogger friends for your support and encouragement in pursuing this challenge. I truly came out richer having gone through this experience. 


 


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience Anna! Thanks for sharing btw I think the dark chocolate with tart cherries is a very winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would personally take it as a compliment that they thought your dessert was not sweet enough for the general masses out there, shows that yours was super sophisticated and above par Anna! I am so proud of you, happy for you that you threw your hat in the ring and wow, meeting Laura Calder? I am so envious! She's one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Experiences such as you had enrich your life. And I beg to differ regarding the judge's remark that dark chocolate cocoa could overpower anything. It is an ingredients to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Anna, how brave of you to even go. I don't agree with the judges either. You should try again for something else.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Anna, I didn't realize you were trying out for this! Wow...what an experience it must've been. And meeting Laura Calder had to be amazing, I would have totally gushed and embarassed myself. Well Congrats on trying out, your recipe sounds incredible, you should be darn proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ava, I had actually sent my regrets following the email invite, but reconsidered given the strong encouragement from blogger friends and family to participate in the competition. Missing the online registration, I assumed that it was the end of the story until serendipitously,I happened to hear a radio announcement about a "walk-in casting call" for the Montreal leg of the competition. There I was the actual morning of the competition baking my cakes and filling the downloaded application form.
    Once there, I felt I was in the midst of American Idol,with a never-ending wait to determine whether my cakes were eligible for the judging table. I'm glad I didn't give in to my urge to leave because I managed to meet Laura Calder,one of the judges. Ava, you would have had nothing to worry about. I did my fair of "gushing" as I'm sure so many others did. In fact one of the judges joked about renaming the event the Laura Calder Show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina, such sweet words of encouragement! I think if I decide to do this again I might have to have my head examined. LOL
    Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia, I can't agree with you more. Although I embarked on this challenges with some trepidation,
    it was an enriching experience on so many levels.
    Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna, We were all happy to see you again and good for you for sticking it out! Congratulations and I think that a not-so-sweet dessert is appreciated by more people than the judges may think! Dark chocolate and cherries win me over any time. Best wishes, Claudia, Liana and Greg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on getting to the judge's table. It sounds like your recipe was at least worthy of debate (which is more than I could say for mine). Sounds like a great experience and better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful experience indeed...I am glad that you had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete