Saturday, February 26, 2011

Paprika Beef Stroganoff


My husband has never been one for creamy sauces where heavy dairy products are introduced into the mix. Whenever I would suggest anything remotely connected to a white creamy sauce, it was like presenting a vampire with a necklace of garlic.....just about the same reaction. The other night I decided to tread on thin ice, and make beef stroganoff  where the star ingredient is not only paprika, but one of the dreaded  ingredients "sour cream". To soften the blow, I decided to serve it with plain healthy riced potatoes. By not adding butter or cream to the potatoes, and using a potato ricer instead of mashing them produced a fluffy light side dish.....the perfect balance to compliment the thick and creamy sauce. So you can imagine my amazement that this dish, which I had left dormant for so long, was a big hit with him. So here is my take on this classic dish which was so popular back in the 1980's, but vanquished from my dining table until it made its comeback recently and is here to stay.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. sirloin beef cut into roughly 1" cubes
2 tablespoons extra virgin oil
2 tablespoons butter
1onion cut into diced pieces
1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 pint of button mushrooms sliced
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 teaspoons paprika
salt and pepper
2/3 cup red wine
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup or more sour cream (to taste)

In a dutch oven pan, heat the oil and butter until very hot. Drop in a few pieces of beef, season with some salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides. a few pieces at a time. Cooking only a few pieces at a time will allow the meat to brown better. Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside. Continue browning the meat until it is all done. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir and scrape all the meat flavours from the bottom of the pan. Return the meat to the dutch oven pan and stir. Toss in the mushrooms and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.Pour in the wine and allow to reduce. Stir in the paprika. Toss in the thyme sprigs and and the beef broth. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Cover and simmer. Braise for 40-60 minutes to the meat to tenderize. The sauce will reduce and thicken. Just before serving add the sour cream and serve with potatoes  or noodles. Serves 4






                                                        

11 comments:

  1. It's so frustrating to please the picky eaters isn't it? Well you obviously had success with this one. Looks very tasty, and the potatoes are a nice touch, they do look so light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ava, actually he isn't that picky, it's just that he has always had an aversion to foods that are overly rich with butter and cream. For light and fluffy mashed potatoes, using a ricer really makes a big difference. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure this dish will be a big hit in my family too. It looks so delicious. I would love it with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...this sounds n looks so tempting..very very yummmmmmm:D
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so darn good! I would love to enjoy it with some pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. once I get my new Le Creuset for my birthday, I'm so going to make something like this! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks perfect! I love it when we can surprise ourselves when we just decide to try everything at least once! Anna, you have just won a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved it! The left overs were such a treat and I had enough for 2 lunches. The veggie, well, I think the smell that filled the house was enjoyable for even a vegetarian.

    Thank you!

    Rob on 8

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love beef stroganoff, sour cream gives such great flavor. I'll serve it on rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha...your words remind me of Dracula. really he reacts like tht?...how interestingly funny! stroganoff is my fave continental pick and i had to come back here for this.
    the richness on riced potato can be quite a filler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Thoma, thanks I'm happy the recipe is to your liking. Love that you liked the humour. My husband is a really good sport,and my greatest supporter in this blogging adventure.

    Victor, let me know if you do give it a try.

    Rob, I've been delinquent in my replies; please forgive me. The vegetarian will surely like the next post.

    chefandsteward.com, thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. No regrets... my husband loved the meal. This opens the door to so many recipe possibilities where white sauces are a must.

    Hi Olga, I ended up using a regular stain steel Dutch oven and it worked beautifully. You are going to love your Le Creuset pot.

    Angie that's a great idea. Egg pasta would be delicious with the beef stroganoff.

    Thanks Jay, the beef turned out so moist and tender.

    Mary, thanks for dropping by and the lovely comment. Do hope your family will enjoy the dish.

    ReplyDelete