Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Best Hamburger Buns

Given it's BBQ season, I thought why not share the burger bun recipe I used for Chuck Hughes' super burgers in the"Hot Pepper Cook-off Challenge".  Many of you might say, why bother making them when burger buns are inexpensive and available everywhere?  Having made them, I can honestly say nothing compares with the taste and texture of homemade ones which have non of the unwanted additives. I also know from experience that few store bought buns will stand up to weight of the meat patty, and all the condiments we like to use on our burger. You also have the  added advantage of customizing the buns to your liking. I almost forgot to mention that they freeze well.
So if your in, here is the Canadian Living recipe I used.  Maybe these buns had a hand in helping me win the challenge?

 Suggestion: I like to sprinkle some coarse cornmeal on the baking tins before placing the buns on for baking.


Canadian Living "Best Hamburger Buns":
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4tsp)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups all purpose flour
1 egg yolk
sesame seeds

Method:
In a large bowl dissolve the 1 teaspoon of sugar in warm water and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Let it stand for about 10 minutes, until frothy.  In a microwave or a stove top heat the milk, remaining sugar, butter and salt on low heat  just until the butter has melted. Allow to cool to lukewarm before adding the yeast mixture.
Beat the mixture with and electric mixer while adding  3 cups of flour ( 1 cup at a time).

Once the mixture is smooth, incorporate the remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface

                                                              

 Knead for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic

Form into a ball and transfer to a large bowl which has been greased. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm draft- free place for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface.


Roll out into a log and cut into 16 pieces.

Form into small balls, stretch and pinch dough underneath to smooth the tops.



Sprinkle some coarse cornmeal on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet.some. Place the the buns about 2" apart.  Flatten slightly with your hands



cover and allow to rise until double in bulk..30-60 minutes.



Gently brush each bun with egg wash (egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water). Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


Bake in a pre-heated 400º F oven for 20-25 minutes. The buns are done when tapped on the bottom the buns sound hallow.


10 comments:

  1. Directions and photos are really helpful and you mention that they freeze well...I'll let you know how mine turn out.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I saw this earlier - made burgers and all my buns were moldy so brought out the English muffins. But oh my - these are sensational and I would love this at my table. The photos are grand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe Anna! A warm hug...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make burgers during the week-end. I should try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Check out my blog!

    cakesensation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, those burger buns are perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna-These buns are spectacular...so grateful for the step-by-step method. Now that I made the garlic rolls, these delicious homemade buns should not be so difficult to try. I could just eat these yummy buns by themselves...just think what an amazing sandwich rolls they also make.
    Thanks for sharing...you're a doll:D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna, I was just writing down the ingredients...but did not see the butter in the list, but in the method you mentioned to heat it with the milk. How much butter did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a homemade hamburger bun. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am so impressed. These look like they just came out of a bakery! They are just perfect. Take a bow!!! That was a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete