Saturday, April 16, 2011

Celeriac Salad (Remoulade) with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette

 


 
 Celeriac (celery root) is a large bulbous root vegetable with very little starch content. Excellent  for soups, mashed and in salads, it has a delicate celery taste. My favourite way of serving it is usually in a simple salad form, also known as "remoulade". In line with the  season, I decided to add some maple syrup to the vinaigrette. The sweetness of the maple syrup helps balance the acidity of the cider vinegar used in the recipe.


Vinaigrette:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon cognac mustard
1 heaping teaspoon L'Ancienne Dijon mustard (with seeds)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3/4 light olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor or by hand whisk all the ingredients except the oil. Once the ingredients are blended gradually whisk in the oil in a slow steady stream.

Celeriac
2 lbs. celeriac/ 8 cups shredded

With a knife cut away knobby end and tough peel 

Cut into pieces small enough for the feed tube of a food processor and shred

11 comments:

  1. I see celeriac all the time but haven't used it yet. I was told it tastes like radish which sounds great to me. I like it grated in this salad--makes it easy to eat as well as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if the first comment "took." But I do love this homely, knobby vegetable and love the maple syrup and Dijon - a little bit of comfort, a little bit of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been curious about using celery root, it looks so interesting. I'm anxious to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound great, I am hosting a linky party called Sunday Buffet, Your welcome to add these to the Buffet line! http://deedeesdelights.blogspot.com/p/sunday-buffet.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe has convinced me to buy some celeriac...looks like a wonderfully tasty salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Anna,a totally new root for me! and the maple fair is still on i guess!!

    looks thouroughly mouth watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and your vinaigrette is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nisrine, I'm so glad the post was of some help. Celeriac also makes for a lovely cream soup. I think you would enjoy the delicate taste of celeriac.

    Claudia, I've been on a real maple syrup kick. It is a lovely reminder that spring is here. We surely can't rely on the cold damp weather we've been having. They are actually announcing snow for the end of the week.

    Nancy and Vjay, you really should give it a try. It has a delicate taste. Makes for a refreshing side dish.

    Thanks Dee Dee, I've followed up on your invite.

    Lizzy, thanks for the comment.

    Thoma, celeriac is a surprisingly light root vegetable with quite a mild taste. It also has a low starch content. The maple sugaring season usually ends at the end of April, but we are so fortunate to have access to the syrup all year round.

    Thanks Alisha, celeriac remoulade is one of our favourite salads. It's quite common in our province, given the French culture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never used celeriac before. I heard it is great in purée.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to eat this salad when I lived in France and i was in a dorm; I admit it was not my favorite but i would love to have a taste of it now! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curiosa y original tu receta muy buena,quiero elaborarla me gustó bastante,tus platos son ecxelentes y contundentes,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete