Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cheese Perogies

Cheese Perogies  with Beurre Noisettte, Shallots and Bacon Bits Garnish, served with  Sour Cream and a Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
The whole idea of making perogies began at my girlfriend's cocktail party , where we happily devoured store bought perogies with dollops of sour cream, as we discussed  the culinary challenge of  reproducing the perfect filling and dough for these puffy white pockets of  comfort food bliss. My girlfriend was determined to replicate her mom's recipe and strongly suggested that I consider making perogies for my next blog post.  It being summer and "those lazy, hazy days" upon us, I managed to put the idea on the back burner.  Unfortunately, there is no rest for the wicked because a few days later and from out of the blue, my daughter also proposed making a batch of perogies. Perogy posts were also appearing on various food sites. Procrastination no longer seemed an option so I agreed to get down to task and embark on our perogy challenge. Luckily, I had succeeded in making them a few years back and managed to track down the same recipe. Though time consuming and requiring a certain amount patience in forming the dumplings, the effort was well worth it.  For those willing to invest the time and try them at home, I suggest that you use a potato ricer instead of a potato masher for better results.  The potato ricer will give you fluffier and lighter potatoes.  So Ann this recipe is just for you.


Ingredients:

Filling:
4 Yukon Gold potatoes (yellow flesh)
1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
Bring the potatoes to boil in a pot of water. The potatoes are done when a knife can be easily inserted in the flesh of the potatoes. Reserve 1 1/4 cup of the potato water for the dough. Set aside and allow to cool.
Mash the potatoes and if possible use a potato ricer for best results. Let the potatoes cool.
In a bowl, combine the potatoes and grated cheese. Set aside to cool.

Perogy Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tablespoon sour cream
1 1/2 cups potato water (room temperature)

In a food processor combine the flour and salt.  Add the butter and process until the consistency of coarse meal.  Transfer to a large bowl. In a small bowl add the egg and beat slightly. Whisk in the sour cream and cooled potato water. Make a well in the flour and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine the ingredients to form a dough.Transfer to a floured work surface and knead the dough until soft and not sticky.
Cover the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for about an hour at room temperature.
  
Assembly:
Divide your dough into three portions. Keep 2 pieces of dough covered while filling the first batch of perogies.  Roll out the the dough into 1/4 inch thickness and using a 3" cookie cutter or wine glass, cut out circular discs. Place the dough in your hand and fill the center of the dough with 1 teaspoon of the potato filling. Fold in half and pinch down the edges to seal in the filling; gently pat down any air pockets.

Cooking Instructions:
Gently drop the perogies in a large pot of boiling water which has been salted.  The perogies are done when they rise to the top, about 4-5 minutes. Drain the perogies and transfer to a hot frying pan
Heat 3-4 tablespoons of butter in the frying pan and add the perogies. Plate the perogies, garnish with onions & bacon bits. Serve with sour cream. Also delicious with browned butter!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,
    You've made my day! Your perogy recipe is really a step by step formula for success. It will give me courage to venture once again into perogy territory, covered in flour, standing in front of a pot of boiling water, waiting for the perogies to come to the surface, ready for that first dollop of sour cream. Thank you for coming to my rescue!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    Thanks to you I once again tried my hand at perogies. Sorry about the fusion touch but they were really delicious with a touch of the balsamic vinegar reduction on the sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna thanx for visiting n leading to urs...Nice collections here,lot to learn from ur blog...Cheese perogies looks awesome,glad to follow u.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vrinda, it's a privilege to have to visit my blog. Thanks for signing up as a follower. By the way, your bread turned out perfect. Looking forword to sharing more recipes.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma used to make the best perogies ever! I've since tried to replicate them but there's always a little something missing. You've got me craving perogies again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Russian, so love pierogis...just don't make them too often. My favorite filling is mushrooms and potatoes. I typically use wonton wrappers for the "dough"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Olga,
    I was surprised to find out that the type of filling used,will vary from one country to another. I love mushrooms,so your filling sounds delicious. I'm sure the wonton wraps must save you loads of time making the perogies.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna,
    I found your blog when you left a post on my wife's blog (quaypocooks.blogspot)and have enjoyed browsing through the various entries. However, I really was delighted to find the perogies. Many years ago in another life (as they say) I lived in Chicago in an older neighborhood. Through friends I had there, and in local food shops and bakeries, I learned all about the delights of perogies. I remember once telling my wife that wonton reminded me of perogies. Here in Malaysia, there are many types of small buns, and fold-overs that can be served wet in soups and main dishes or perfectly crisped in a deep fryer. Is there anyone who doesn't enjoy gnoshing these kinds of morsels, considering the wealth of fillings and styles that they can be found in from culture to culture? However, the tradition of a potato based filling in perogies will always be high on my list of food memories. I am looking forward to trying your recipe to demonstrate how similar they are to my wife's wonton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's such a coincidence to receive your comment because my girlfriend and I were having the very same conversation earlier today, while she was testing my perogies. We also had concluded that there are amazing similarities in cuisines of different cultures. As a case in point, for Italians the ravioli and tortellini are similar to perogies. It most be amazing to have such a wide variety of dumplings available to you in Malaysia. They are perfect for gnoshing, and the ultimate comfort food. Hope you do give the recipe a try and let me know how they turn out. My perogies did pass her test. Apparently, they reminded her of her mom's perogies.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete